Recent Posts

Sunday, March 6, 2011

myACCOUNT



Matt and I finally got around to going back to the bank with Sydney this weekend to open up her own savings account. The last time we were there, we didn't have everything we needed...and it took us about 9 months to remember to go back and finally do it! We took Sydney's piggy bank and emptied out everything into a jar. We explained to her that we were going to take her money and put it into an account just like Mommy & Daddy do with theirs. She sat and colored at the bank and when Margie took the jar and brought it back empty Sydney asked if it was in her "account". That kid is just too funny...but sure catches on fast.

This morning we set up the small change boxes that the bank gave us, and I let Sydney take the change that Matt and I had accumulated and spread it out amongst the three boxes. I like the idea behind it...one to SAVE, one to SPEND, and one to GIVE. A lightbulb went off in my head and I am now brainstorming some ideas for her 3rd birthday this May...something we could do instead of accumulating toys and things that will just sit around the house...something we could engage all the kids in, that would be fun, but would give back or re-use things we already own.

More to come on that as I work out the details...right now I just love Sydney referring to the 3 boxes as her "account" ... too funny! Hoping to set her on the right path in regards to saving/spending money at an early age just like my Dad did for us. Priceless everyday tools everyone should have!

0 comments: