Recent Posts

Monday, January 3, 2011

Reflections 2010


In 2010...

  • Rang in the New Year before midnight with our friends the Brown's and then @ home with Sydney fast asleep in her new 'big girl' bed and Matt falling asleep reading a magazine. What can I say...were getting old(er)!

  • Filled out and sent in my first census as a wife and mother.

  • Once again...didn't lose the weight I wanted.

  • Put our first house on the market to sell!

  • Road-tripped it to Arizona with Matt and Sydney for the Overland Journal Expo...saw some beautiful scenery, sweet-ass rigs/gear and met some amazing new friends!

  • Sold our house on Riley...(the name of our first dog whom we had before moving in) and moved into a house on Cody...ironically the name of our second lab...no it was not planned.

  • My parents had to put their dauchsend of over 10 years to sleep.

  • Assisted with my 4th Flamin Hottie Auction Fundraiser ... raising $400+ for Cancer awareness
  • Celebrated Sydney's 2nd Birthday
  • Went Camping at Smithville Lake with some dear friends...

  • Fell to my knees in sorrow after finding out we had lost our friend John Glaser, Matt's fellow co-worker in a house fire that same weekend we were camping. He left behind his lovely wife and two young children.

  • Stood hand in hand with my fellow fire fighter wives/fiances/girlfriends, tears streaming down our cheeks watching our our husbands/fiances/boyfriends drive past in the fire trucks honoring John as we prepared to say good-bye to our friend.
  • Laid to rest the first ever Shawnee Fallen Firefighter.

  • Moved into our new house the day following the funeral.

  • Assisted with the First Annual Bunkers for Brooke Golf Tournament honoring Brooke, a 5 year old Leavenworth Firefighter's daughter who passed away in a house fire.

  • Celebrated my 30th Birthday.

  • Attended the First Annual GLASERFEST in Martini Corner in honor of John.

  • Attended my fourth Relay For Life of Shawnee & Lenexa KS as a Flamin Hottie

  • Found out our 90 year old neighbor Orville had passed away after Matt and I went over to the house to check on him since he hadn't been answering his phone. I wish we had had more time to get to know him...he was very sweet and I am sure had ALOT of stories to share!

  • Took a phone call from my older brother informing me that our younger brother's best friend had drowned in a bridge jumping accident at the Lake of the Ozarks...once again fell to my knees in sorrow and disbelief. He too left behind his wife and daughter of 9months.
  • Think I heard my heart literally break from sadness.
  • Laid to rest my brother's best friend and my fellow classmate Jason Kyle Adam.

  • Celebrated 7 Years of Marriage.

  • Traveled to Colorado with Matt and Sydney and Camped alongside Dillon Lake.

  • Changed banks for the first time since I had opened up my first checking account with my Dad.

  • Picked up my camera as often as I could and documented the things that inspired me.

  • Hugged and Re-Hugged those that were feeling heartache and sorrow just like I was.
  • Shared 10 incredible days with our friends from Germany who came to Shawnee as part of the Sister City Exchange Program.
  • Visited the Liberty Memorial for the first time ever and walked thru the WWI Museum with Carl Dicapo himself!
  • Toured the Boulevard Brewery for the first time.
  • Spent an enjoyable two days at the Lake of the Ozarks with our German friends.
  • Built a fire pit in our new backyard with Bricks I found piled up along our back property line.

  • Failed to attend the Banff Mountain Film Festival in Lawrence for the first time EVER.

  • Assisted with my second PINK HEALS event...

  • Shared many outdoor summer/fall nights by the garage/firepit with family and friends.

  • Hosted our first annual Pumpkin Party!

  • Went back to VEGAS with the girls in celebration of Wendy & Kevin's Wedding!

  • Read the Sookie Stackhouse series in a ridiculously short time frame...

  • Unfortunately had to put our dog Cody to sleep after finding out he had ingested something that in the end caused his kidneys/liver to fail.

  • Celebrated Eleven Years with Matt since we started dating...

  • Cried A LOT.

  • Laughed as OFTEN as I could.

  • Took on a temporary Receptionist position at a downtown office and made some wonderful new friends! I miss our daily interaction already...

  • Cheered Matt on as he went back to school for his BA...and he's halfway done now!

  • Decided I wasn't ready to take on pregnancy #2 just yet...

  • Wondered if I wanted to every be pregnant again...maybe 1 and done is okay.

  • Questioned myself, and others.

  • Found CROSSFIT
  • Found out just before Christmas that Matt's Uncle had two arteries surrounding his heart that were 99% blocked and another 80% blocked...yet another Epperson man went through open heart surgery...he too ended up needing a quadruple by-pass just like his brother did last year...he passed with flying colors and is doing great!!!

  • Once again grateful to spend Christmas with my entire family...happy that no one had endured any injuries or that we had experienced any death or illness within our own family.

  • Watched my baby rapidly growing into a toddler before my eyes.

  • Listened as Sydney quickly picked up on her colors, numbers, and letters in awe of how amazing kids are and how fast they learn everything.

  • Smiled

  • Struggled and watched others struggle

  • Remembered

  • Still Procrastinated at times

  • Gave in at times, and gave up at times...

  • Admired

  • was Inspired

  • Made new Friendships
  • Should have spent more time with some friends and didn't...
  • was always GRATEFUL and forever THANKFUL

I have said this to others and will state it again on here...2010 was a rough year. Not only for what I feel I experienced, but what others around me went through as well. It was defined by death, divorce and down right sadness most of the time. As I look back on this year's list I am reminded that even in times of sorrow and grief, there were many things to be grateful and thankful for. Times of laughter and times of cheer. But in the end the things that stand out are some of the things that hurt the most and that is what this year will always be remembered for. I always look forward to a new year...new beginnings...new traditions...new friendships...new memories...new experiences...etc.

Here's to Two.Thousand.and.Eleven

I wish you all the best in this coming year...here's to finding reJUVINATION as I reJOIN the workforce full-time and try to get reENERGIZED as I reINVENT and reDEFINE myself as an individual, a wife, a mother and a woman in need of some balance in her life...

0 comments: