Recent Posts

Saturday, January 22, 2011

OUt wiTh tHe oLd




So...I will share a reality with all of you.

95% of the photography that you have seen on this blog was all produced with my lovely beaten up - very well used - point and shoot that you see above! Yep...sometimes it isn't all about the camera - its about what you do with it! I have had the wonderous priviledge of growing up amongst a professional photographer...my Dad. I have watched him take pictures since I can remember, and of course was one of the subjects of that photography many, many times over. As a photographers child you tend to get sick of your Dad telling you which way to pose, to put your chin down, turn only your head a little this way ... but the reality is that in the end it has been such a great experience and it REALLY opened my eyes to the joy of photography.

One of these days I will interview him and share how he became the photographer that he is today. I will tell you that he is one of the smartest, technical guys I know...who can walk into any room and immediately know what f-stop and exposure he is going to use before he's even gotten started. The knowledge he carries in his head is something I will forever be jealous of. I only hope that in the time we have remaining on this planet together I will finally begin to soak up a fraction of it so that I can have the opportunity of passing on the art of photography to my children in the event that they begin to see the world through the lens like I do.

On that note...because I have a professional as a father, I have had access to DSLR's regularly when I want to really explore the techniques and things they can produce. But the reality of my life is that I am on the go most of the time and I have always wanted to have a quick resource at my fingertips for when I am inspired by a photographic subject. I have had my Canon PowerSHOT SD550 Digital Elph for at least 6 years. It has been wonderful. I have been very impressed with its capabilities and what it has produced for me. It has traveled with me almost daily since my daughter was born, as well as across state-lines, through the air, and across the pond when visiting Europe. You can see the scratches and I can't tell you how many accidental falls it took and never once broke! It has captured so many memories in its lifetime, and I know it will still continue to capture more...but in a backup capacity...because it finally came time to upgrade.




This is my new Canon PowerShot S95!!! Yep...still in the point and shoot family...but this one feels like so much more. It has more manual functions and works like a miniature DSLR in many ways. There are things that I will never be able to do with a point and shoot...believe me I know that...but inspiration is what drives me to take the photos that I do and for me its about having a pocket sized tool to capture those moments when they unfold.

Here are just a few of the features that drew me to this camera...it shoots RAW and RAW/JPEG - the IMAGE STABILIZER - 28-105mm F2.0-4.9 lens and 3.0" LCD. This Canon is on the higher end of point and shoot cameras, but it should be with some of the features and capabilities that it provides. I was looking for a way to test my skills in a compact mode for everyday use when I don't have access to a DSLR. One of these days I will invest in one...or buy one off my Dad...but for me, right now, this is working just fine.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ang,
First - I am IMPRESSED by Eppyville. You're doing a great job, entertaining, consistent, and GREAT PHOTOS. I especially love the one of Syd laughing in the tub!
Now, my comment. I too am the proud owner of the sleeper in the Canon line - the s95. A g12 that's always in your pocket. As good an image as you can get with a camera this size. Good choice.
I also want to say that it's really nice to read the things you say about your Dad and his photo talent and knowledge. He is a way-talented photographer and it looks like it's rubbed off.
Keep shooting, honey. What aren't you doing what you post here for a living. Families would love to have their stories captured the way you see!!
Love, Uncle Mark