Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

the idea of CHANGE


I was reading this post over at I Should Be Folding Laundry and I found my thoughts drifting to the fact that every year I too make a list of 'resolutions' to change so many things in my life...and at the end of the year I usually find that I haven't changed a thing. CHANGE...change is the number one thing I have total control over and the number one thing I find my self rarely achieving. Why is it that CHANGE is so difficult for most of us. We want things in our lives, but we are quick to complain when we don't have them, yet we are the ones in control of our own destiny and very few of us actually get off our butt's and make the changes we want to see in the world...instead we continue to sulk in the things we don't have and continue the cycle of complaints.

And I will fully admit that I too am one of the complainers...I complain about not losing the weight I want, not having enough time for myself, not having the time to do the creative things that inspire me, not having enough money, etc..etc...etc...the list could be endless. And you know what...I find myself more often sulking in my own thoughts than actually getting around to doing something about it. Now that is something that I want to see CHANGE!

Making a list of resolutions is a way of putting down on paper all of those things that constantly flood your brain that you would like to change or achieve. It's not stupid...its a perfectly good tool to get you in the mind set to make a move. Once again I am going to list some things I want to try harder to change this year...here is to finding the off switch to my internal complaining mechanism, and instead turning on the switch that pushes me to taking a good hard look at exploring the things that I want to see change in my own world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. EMBRACE who I am. Take more pictures of myself...hence the one above. I hate to be photographed because I don't like my weight...the weight I have vowed to take off for the last umpteen years...but it is a part of who I am right now...and rather than ignoring it...I am going to try my best to embrace it rather than hate it. It may not be what I ultimately want to look at...but it is my body, and I can't just trade it in for a new one.

2. BE GREENER - Lessen my carbon footprint. It's funny how you can move into a new environment and it can inspire you to want to change so many former bad habits. For whatever reason...this house has me completely inspired to change the way we live. Recycle more, Compost, Grow Veggies & Herbs, Find a ReUse for things, be greener in the way I clean and the products I use, produce less waste in general...so many ideas floating thru my head...but I want to set the example for Sydney and her generation...and the only way to do that is to show her. Be that example.

3. Get rid of the clutter - get REORGANIZED! By getting rid of some of the clutter it will help me simplify how I use the spaces within the house better, and just lessen the things I have to clean or frankly worry about. BUT in ridding the clutter, its also about how to get rid of things without just throwing them into a garbage can. What can I make into reusable gifts? What can I give away to good will or to friends? What plastics or electronics can I recycle safely?

4. Be ACTIVE. I started doing Crossfit back at the end of the summer with my friend and Crossfit Guru Jim. I let it go when things got crazy again and I regret that I once again allowed myself to fall off the wagon. So I am ready to get back into it. It was a great form of exercise for me and I hope to return to it very soon. I want to feel better and in turn I know it will help in my weight-loss endeavor.

5. EAT BETTER - Most of us eat crap...because that is what the world around us has produced and tempted us with for oh so long! It is one of the hardest self-control practices in my life. I love food...all kinds of food. But the problem is that I don't have a metabolism that lets me eat anything I want and not gain a pound...oh no. What I want is to stop feeling like crap...literally. I want to feel like I can get up in the morning and have the energy I need to get through my day. Well that comes with eating things that don't clog up my arteries and spike my cholesteral. And it is the only way I am truly going to lose some of this weight and feel healthy again.

6. Be CREATIVE and let the juices flow. I love doing creative projects...and I have a backlog of so many things that it is hard to know where to begin...but I feel like I have let this one huge characteristic of myself get lost over the years. It is an outlet for me that I have always enjoyed. In a coming post I will share with you the space that Matt created for me in the basement for me to do just that - craft. I am slowly organizing all of my things and believe me, I can't wait to finally have a place to go to work on these projects! Check back soon!

7. BLOG more. That may sound like it takes time away from doing all of these other things...but it is just another thing that I love. However, when I look back over the last few years of having this in place, I realized that I should be sharing my thoughts more. I am a visual person and I love to share with all of you my photography. But there is also the writer in me, the person who have thoughts and feelings spewing from her that she never puts down on paper anymore. Well, maybe 2011 will be a year of sharing more...more about myself and the world I wake up to everyday.

8. PHOTOGRAPH even more

9. Find BALANCE. I know that life is crazy and not everything that occurs is within my control. But an overall balance of how much time I spend doing certain things is...and I need to figure out a way to create some of that balance. Remove the things from my life that create negativity and insert the more positive things or people I need to accomplish a way of living that I can enjoy.

10. LOVE more. LAUGH Often. HUG those close. INSPIRE and be INSPIRED. Make new MEMORIES with family and friends...

and don't be afraid to SHARE it all with the world!


0 comments: