Recent Posts

Monday, March 15, 2010

suic [I] de


I found out this morning that an old acquaintance of mine, who I had just reconnected with on Facebook in the last few weeks decided to leave the world on her own. I still do not know all of the details of what took place, it will trickle in through others...but I find my mind drifting today...asking why...wondering what pain she was in that drove her to make such a decision.

I do think we all struggle with low points in our lives, that is part of being human...some are much worse than others...most of us can pull ourselves back out of the darkness, regain our consciousness, and move on. But there are some of us who are incapable of that, or have tried, and still find themselves in the same place, or in their minds worse. I think that Suicide is the most selfish act we are given as humans...it is the one thing you can completely do on your own for and to yourself. However, as selfish as the concept is to me, I of course cannot speak for the person experiencing these feelings in this process. The hurt comes from knowing that this person was feeling this way, something that no one but them truly feels or understands, that leads them to this point and decision. It is what in turn leaves everyone so confused and broken by the loss...because we all wish we could have helped stop it, even if it was out of our hands.

My heart goes out to her, her family, and to anyone who has personally experienced a loved one or acquaintance leaving this world on their own...I am sorry that this pain [ for both parties involved ] even exists in this world...but I hope that through the confusion/pain you all find peace, and that those who left us have found their own peace...even if we did not understand their path to reach it.

4 comments:

Anaurora H said...

Hi!! I noticed that you're a new reader of my blog, thank you and I'll be delighted to read you too :)
I'm sorry about your acquaintance, but I think that if she was in pain, she's in a better place now.
I hope you have a lovely day :)
Ana

Sally said...

I know Sarah Flatley, and this is so heart breaking. Also, I don't think the people think they are being selfish at the time they are in pain. I think some pain is so deep for some people, it eludes our abilities to comprehend it.

It is so heart breaking. Another person I know - Philip McCall committed suicide last month. There have been others throughout the years and it is always just unbelievably heart breaking.

WannabeVirginia W. said...

My heart goes out to her and her family. Sometimes reaching out is very difficult for some. So sad.

Melissa said...

Wow...that's...I don't know what to say. I looked at her FB page and she sure hid it well. Makes me wonder who else is hiding thoughts like that.