Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

GERMANY - Post #7

Germany - Day #6
Dresden
Saxony's Royal Residence

On the 6th day of our visit to Germany we drove to Dresden which is the capital city of the state of Saxony. This visit was extra special for me, this is where my grandfather (Fred A. Berndt) and his family lived briefly before his departure for America in 1907. He passed away before I was born, but he is one man I really would have liked to meet. Unfortunately our family's history ends with him...we have been unsuccessful to date in finding any information about our ancestors...but with a little help from my new friends in Germany, I hope that I may find myself a step closer one of these days.

The first thing that hits you upon arriving in Dresden is just the grandore of the buildings. It is a beautiful city, filled with enormous structures. And on top of all of that, in 1945 this city was completely destroyed following the British/American air-rade during WWII. It is interesting knowing as an American, that we as American's bombed the same city where my ancestors lived. There is a high likely hood that they may have been among the 35,000 casualties of this attack.

This city was restored and the buildings you see in the pictures are amazing. Dresden is definitely on my list to make a return visit. Maybe my dad will make the next trip with me.







Steffen (with hair) and his son Axel...two of our Guides for the day!










The Church of the Lady...seen below, sat in ruins until 1993 when they finally began the reconstruction. Matt and I took the long walk to the top for an amazing 360 degree view of the city.








We ate lunch under the yellow umbrellas below...


After lunch, we took a boat ride down the Elbe river...







Uba and his son Eric, also guides for the day!



0 comments: